Religion - Part 1

This is the first part of a multi-part post, I started putting it all together and realized it was too big for a single post. Part 1 is about Religion, Part 2 will be about Calvinism, specifically predestination. Beyond that, I'll see what remains and go on from there.

A bit of background is usually helpful, and in this case, I believe important. I was raised Catholic. I left Catholicism when I was 18, and with one or two exceptions, I have never been back (I was however married in a Catholic Cathedral, old habits do die hard I guess). I have been for many years as is my wife, a Christian. If you spoke to my relatives and most of my close friends, confrontational is a word that might be used to describe me (among many other, much nicer, gentler words. OK maybe not). Generally, in regard to my beliefs, I am not that way.

With this post, that is about to change. I would like to define one word for now, one that is important to this discussion: Religion - Websters and Britannica define religion as: The service and worship of God or the supernatural Relation of human beings to God or the gods or to whatever they consider sacred or, in some cases, merely supernatural.

So religion is something we "do", a word that can be assigned to things other than the worship of the one true God. Religion is not something we "are". This seems to be a problem for many professed Christians. I've asked many people about their beliefs, and many of the answers are; "I'm Catholic", "I'm Mormon", "I'm Methodist", "I'm (insert name of religion here)". Well for the record, I am a Christian, a believer in God the Father, a follower of His Son, Jesus Christ, and a reader of His textbook, the bible. I am not any religious denomination, nor am I reformed. To me, reformed is to Calvin as protestant is to Luther, a word that describes what happened after their theology was accepted. It has great meaning today to a number of folks (I keep reading that word on a large number of the blogs I frequent), but means nothing to me. For if I am reformed, then one would be lead to believe that I follow Calvins' Five Points which while interesting, I don't completely agree with. 

According to the US Census Bureau statistics for 2000, there were almost 285 million Americans, out of that number it is estimated that there are between 160 and 217 million Christians (Of all denominations). That is an amazing, almost unbelievable number. Since the US Census Bureau does not actually query religious preference, that number is a weighted estimate based upon numerous groups surveys.

The numbers below are approximate only: 60 million Catholics 145 million Protestants (Methodists, Baptists, Pentecostal, Episcopalian, etc) 5 million Mormons The one thing I found researching this post is that there are somewhere around 4400 different religions registered in the US. Folks, that is a lot of "religion", but how many of those who claim to be a Christian, actually follow the teachings of God and His revealed word? Only God knows!

The one group (if you will) missing from that list are those who have no specific denomination, numbering around 8 million. I have never really understood some of the religions listed, not that I think there is anything wrong with them, I just don't want to be a part of something that is more interested in how rather than why or what I pray. One that is more worried about me genuflecting in front of an altar rather than living the word of God. One that thrives on ritual rather than substance. 

I've chosen not to be associated with a specific religion. I go to a church that teaches the word of God book by book, verse by verse. That is what works for me. Does that mean the folks who attend Catholic Mass aren't good Christians, no (my parents, for those who have not read a few of my posts are active Catholics, and wonderful God fearing people). I just think that as Christians, we have a tendency to get so caught up in our "religion" that we forget to get caught up in our God, His Son, and His word.

By and large, Christians are good people, but way too many think of themselves as something besides a Christian. See my second paragraph for details. Christianity is not about sitting in a church, reciting words that have been said for so long that they have lost their meaning. It is not about a Pastor/Minister/Priest reading a verse or two from the bible, then spending thirty minutes or more telling what he/she thinks it means, and how it might relate to your life. It is not about having the offering plate (or whatever) being passed around and having those around you watch to see what you tithe. It is not about saying words and singing songs once a week and then going out and living your life any way you choose.

Christianity is about a relationship with God. It is about reading and understanding the bible and how we should try and live our lives. Christianity is about following (some would say finding) the narrow difficult path and trying to stay on it. It is about fellow shipping with other believers, providing love and support when you can, and drawing the same from others when you need to. It is about challenging those who quote the bible incorrectly to support a stance that they know is built on sand, not solid rock.

As my Pastor has said many times, "Don't trust what I am telling you, go verify it yourself". Let me rephrase that one for you, because I believe that is one of the single most important things we, as Christians, need to do. Just because someone is a Pastor, Minister, Priest, or Theologian, it does not mean we should trust what they say. If the bible does not confirm what you have been told, then it is not true. Always, always, always verify the truth of what is being said by a person or persons quoting the bible.

Christianity is about faith, and faith has only one name, religion has many. In part 2, I want to discuss Calvin and his teachings on predestination (Unconditional Election) . I believe Calvin is flawed in this area, I don't just believe God has called us (truth), but I also believe we have a responsibility to accept or deny the call. Why else would God have given us free will.

That discussion is coming. At this point, if you have not already left my site, commenting on my stupidity or whatever, it is my sincerest hope is that you are motivated to challenge me and what I have said. If so, I look forward to your comments/criticisms..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovery

Valentines Day

Men Stuff